Thursday, October 25, 2007

Informally Learning

I have learned so many things in life. I must say though that the best lesson I have learned is not to mourn the loss of someone but rather celebrate the life they have and would continue to live if they were here. The first loss I remember in my family was when I was 9 years old. My aunt Tammy had passed away from pancreatic cancer. My mother always called it the "silent killer." I, being so young, remember only the things that I actually saw. It was so powerful to see someone so innocent going through something like this. When my aunt did pass my father told me not to mourn the loss of her but to celebrate her life. I feel he probably told me this so my mother wouldn't see her children cry but it did stick with me. We should be here to celebrate the wonderful life and spirit of the family we have or had and remember that just because they aren't hear physically doesn't mean we can't keep the memory of them alive.
Another very important part of my life was when I joined the Big Brother Big Sister program. I had a little sister who was in third grade and although I can't give to many specifics on this girl she was wonderful to learn from. I would say she is the reason I want to teach children. They are truly my passion. I have never been more willing to dedicate my life to someone as I am to them. They have this perfect innocence about them and it has become my dream and goal to influence and impact the life of as many people as I can. She is the reason why I am going to be a teacher and I am forever in her debt for the wonderful things she gave to me. I never would have thought that a third grade child would be one of my greatest influence's in life but she is and will always be.
My mother is my "informal educator." She has taught me right from wrong, how to tie my shoes, how to do math, and even how to love the simple things in life. There are so many things that she gave me, including the opportunity to be in college today. She is the woman that gave me life, gave me love, and gave me the will to succeed in life. She is the woman I owe my everything to and she doesn't ever expect anything back from me. Even as a little girl when I needed a kiss to fix my boo boo to now when I need her to show me support she is always there. She has taught me compassion, honestly, and given me the strength to keep my head up at an all time low. She is my educator and the one I will always look to for advise. She is my hero.

3 comments:

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Sorry, I deleted my first comment because I had a grievous typing error that I wanted to correct. Anyway, I enjoyed reading about your life experiences and I can see how you have become a more well-rounded person because of them.

Johanna Prince said...

a nice first post Kristen, I agree that life lessons can come from unexpected places- and that moms are a wonderful thing!